What social media outlet do you use to promote yourself/work?

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Social Media and Promoting

You hear a lot of hype about social media, online promoting and networking, and building a platform.  Hell, I even wrote a blog post about it a while ago (can be found in the archives).  I joined Twitter last month and Linkedin just a few days ago.  In addition to my Facebook page, those avenues have helped me get in touch with 100+ authors, editors, movie production professionals, and other interesting people.

That being said, social media is also a major time consumer.  As proof, my Linkedin page isn't exactly up to par (yet!) and my blog posts are occasionally erratically released.  There is simply so much to do, so much to keep track of and contribute to, that it can bog you down.  That's not saying that you can't handle it all, or that my blog posts won't become more regular, but that handling social media has a large learning curve that comes along with it.

Melissa Foster, another Twitter contact, has an article on just this subject.

Contrary to most people's advice on only pursuing one form of social media, i.e this blog, I thought, "I can handle that, how tough can it be?".....well, it's pretty time consuming.

That's not to say; however, that it isn't a good time.  I have a lot of fun connecting with different writers, editors, reading fans, and others online whether it be through this blog, Twitter, Facebook, or Linkedin.  Despite what you have heard about social media, it isn't all serious "networking" (I hate that buzzword), but a lot of social banter between people in your field, and sharing ideas with people you may or may not know.

Beyond anything, it gives you an avenue to get in contact with people, whether it be because you want their help with a project, or you are their biggest fan, it's possible with social media.



Check out the poll question below and until next time, check out my Twitter, Facebook, or Linkedin pages!!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment