What social media outlet do you use to promote yourself/work?

Sunday, April 1, 2012

What's Not to Love?

Do you ever have a moment when you are in the bookstore, or on your ereader, and you think, "Why do I always read the same kind of book?"

I had a moment like that the other night while reading.  It wasn't that I didn't enjoy the book, or that I could see the ending coming, but rather a thought about how the same genre of novels still holds my attention.  I doubt it is the characters because for the most part, they are all fairly similar.  I also doubt that it is the plot.  Most of those are very similar, too.

Mystery novels are about intrigue, they're about suspense, and there is a certain romance to that.  Anyone who reads mystery books knows what I mean.  You can open any book and not know what is going to happen on the next page.  That's not true about romance novels, general fiction, and certainly not non-fiction.

Nothing is off-limits in mystery writing and nothing is for certain.  We can lose ourselves in the story and be people we would love to be, freely hate the people who seem off to us, try to predict what will happen, and be thrilled or disappointed with the outcome.  Nothing I have read, and I have tried just about every kind of book out there, can measure up to that.  Hell, not much in life can measure up to the suspense that an author can pack into a few hundred pages of a mystery novel.

I just wish I had a place to read like this one...




II was pointed to two great websites y'all might find interesting, for both writers and readers.  Anyone who loves books, and mystery books in particular.  Stop Your Killing Me! is a site built for mostly mystery readers.  You can learn everything from new authors' names to what book is next in your favorite series.  The other site, World Literary Cafe is focused on writers but is a one-stop resource for everything to do with books.

Till next time, check me out on Twitter, Facebook, or follow by email!  A new poll question is going up tomorrow so come on back!!

Cheers everybody

No comments:

Post a Comment