What social media outlet do you use to promote yourself/work?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Writer's Digest Competition

Alright y'all,

I'm mulling over some ideas for short stories that I will be submitting for the 81st Annual Writer's Digest Writing Competition  and I thought some outside input was in order....

There are ten categories for anybody and everybody to compete in, ranging from religious writing and rhyming poems, to traditional fiction and mystery.  Now, I know the novel I wrote is mystery (hopefully you guys know I wrote a novel, by now) but since the maximum word count in this competition is 3,000-4,000 words, depending on the category, I feel like mystery wouldn't be a good choice.  How could anybody develop a great mystery story with solid characters within that short frame?

The better route I think, and stop me here if I'm wrong, would be to focus on really likable characters (yes, exactly who you're thinking, someone like Hannibal Lector) and a story everyone can relate to.  I have a few ideas, some fiction, some nonfiction, for my entry.

What about you guys, do you have any great stories to be told?  Comment and I will choose one to use as my entry story!

No comments:

Post a Comment